Other Cell Systems Available for Contract Services
Besides the lympho-hematopoietic, immune and mesenchymal stem/progenitor cell systems, HemoGenix® can provide contract services using a multitude of other cell systems.
Fresh or cryopreserved primary cells from different organs and tissues, are available. When removed from the body, they often demonstrate a limited period of cell proliferation during which toxicity and other assays can be applied. Some cell types, for example hepatocytes, are non-proliferating, but exhibit high metabolism for a certain period of time that allows studies to be performed.
Individual or panels of transformed and/or cancer cell lines are also availble for contract services.
Finally, embryonic stem (ES) cell - derived and induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell - derived functional mature cells (e.g. hepatocytes, cardiomyocytes, neural cells etc) now provide the ability to employ, test and characterize different cell types used in routine toxicity testing and compare their response to fresh, primary cells.
- Bone marrow
- Peripheral blood
- Umbilical cord blood
ES- and iPS-derived cells (e.g. hepatocytes, neural cells, cardiomyocytes etc.) are included in the types of cells that can be studied. In addition, the NCI cell line toxicity panel can also be incorporated as well as other cell lines from different species and organs. Please contact HemoGenix® at (719) 264-6250 or email@example.com for more information.
STEMGlo™-Tox HT constitutes the backbone assay for many of the cell types used for toxicity testing. Its flexibility for using different culture growth media designed for different cell types makes it a perfect high throughput, in vitro screening and toxicity platform. For understanding cell growth kinetics and the onset of cytotoxicity, STEMGlo™-Real Time (RT) is used. STEMGlo™-Tox HT is also part of the HemoGenix® ComparaTOX™ Platform.
Benefits of Using STEMGlo™-Tox HT for Predictive In Vitro Toxicity Testing
- STEMGlo™-Tox HT is a standardized and validated, ATP bioluminescence, end-point in vitro assay platform that detects and measures cell viability proliferation/cytotoxicity and cell number.
- It has high-throughput capability using 96- or 384-well plate formats for drug or compound screening.
- STEMGlo™-Tox HT is available for adherent or non-adherent cells.
- STEMGlo™-Tox HT is part of the ComparaTox™ 1 Platform to compare and rank responses of cells from different organs, tissues and species. (Please see separate information flyer).
- Assay standardization allows results to be compared over time.
- The assay is usually completed in 2 to 7 days, depending on species and cell type.
- Validated according to FDA Bioanalytical Method Guidelines.
- Designed for multiplexing with other assay readouts using the same sample.
Benefits of Using STEMGlo™-Real Time (RT)
- STEMGlo™-RT is a bioluminescence real time assay used to determine the growth kinetics of different cell types and the onset of cytotoxicity as well as other parameters.
- STEMGlo™-RT is a non-lytic, non-destructive assay that allows other assay readouts to be multiplexed with it to produce large amounts of information from the same sample.
- Like STEMGlo™-Tox HT, the RT assay is a high-throughput assay available in 96- or 384-well plate formats.
- STEMGlo™-RT can be used at different times during cell cutlure, e.g. 0-3 days or 3-5 days etc to understand when and how a compound might be affecting a specific cell type.
- STEMGlo™-RT is joined by HALO®-RT, ImmunoGlo™-RT and MSCGlo™-RT for hematopoietic, immunopoietic and mesenchymal cells.
When the potential toxicity of a drug or compound is initially assessed, it may be noticed that not all of the cells respond or are affected; a proportion of cells are either resistant or are unaffected by the treatment. Potential change in drug or compound sensitivity and the ability of the residual cells to help repopulate and/or expand after one or more treatments are important factors in understanding the response and toxicity to the cell system. For this reason, HemoGenix® developed Predictive Residual Toxicity Assays.
STEMGlo™-PRT is a two-step assay, usually used for stem cell toxicity, but can also be applied to other cell types. The first step involves culturing the target cells with different concentrations of the drug or compound to assess cytotoxicity and the inhibitory concentrations (IC values). Extra replicate wells are also prepared so that the cultured cells from each drug or compound dilution can be removed and subjected to a secondary culture (second step) without the drug or compound. Changes in the dose response curve will indicate whether the remaining residual cells have changed their sensitivity to the drug or compound.
STEMClone™ is a 96-well plate, methylcellulose-based, clonal assay for proliferating cells. Cells are grown as colonies in specific growth medium containing growth factors and/or cytokines that may also induce differentiation. The number of colonies produced correlates with the cell dose and growth factor concentration. STEMClone™ is a proliferation and differentiation assay platform, similar to CAMEO™-96, that can be used to investigate the response to drugs and other compounds on the differentiation and maturation process. Since STEMClone™ can be used to measure the proliferation response using the same ATP Bioluminomics™ technology as in STEMGlo™-Tox HT, it is possible to standardize the number of colonies counted into ATP concentration equivalents. If fluorescence-labeled antibodies are available, it is possible to quantitate different cell types, perform cell cycle analysis and apotosis assays using flow cytometry or multiplex with other assay readouts.
STEMGlo™-Tox HT and STEMGlo™-Real Time can be multiplexed with many other assay readouts to obtain as much information from a s single sample as possible. Many of these readouts are used to describe the possible mechanism of action (MOA) of a drug or other agent. For more information on MOA and other assays please click here.